Reinstall Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wilso1, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Wilso1 macrumors newbie

Greetings All, I have issues with my 27" iMac. If I insert the Lion disc in the drive to install it will I lose all my added applications?
    I've been advised this will iron out the issues.

2. simsaladimbamba

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

Anyway, if you just do a reinstallation without formatting the volume/partition the OS is stored on, all data and applications will be left untouched.
    If you do a clean install, all data and applications will be lost.

But then again, why have you been advised to iron out what issues? Maybe a reinstallation is not needed and even if, you can always redownload the applications you have installed or fall back onto the installers you might have backed up.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

As said, there is no disk. There is a Recovery Partition instead.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Most problems can be resolved without recourse to reinstalling the OS.

4. Wilso1 thread starter macrumors newbie

27" iMac issues

Thank you for your replies.
    I tried to install Windows 7 64bit with bootcamp but after about2 hours wait ,I decided to abort the install as it seemed to have frozen.
    It did not like that 1 bit as, now , i cannot access bootcamp as it just bounces in the dock & wont let me access it. I will appreciate any advice.
    Again,Many thanks for the help.