Reinstall Mac Lion Fresh Install

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ktalebian, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,

I have Lion on my Mac now, but I want to do a clean install. Do I need to go back to Snow Leopard or can I somehow download Lion again, make a recovery disk from it and install that?

Thanks
    Koushaa

2. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Hi and thanks for the reply.

But how can I download the Lion?! I installed Lion a while ago, and don't have the installation DMG anymore! In App Store, it says Lion is installed, so I cannot re-download it!

The link you provide outlines the way to extract the installation off the DMG, but since I don't have the file, what do I do?

Thanks

3. saulinpa macrumors 6502

Go to the App Store. Hold the Option key and click on Purchased. You then can click on Install again.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You don't need to go back to Snow Leopard to do a clean install. Once you download Lion create a bootable USB flash drive with Lion on it. Boot to the Lion USB drive, select Disk Utility, erase the HD, exit Disk Utility and select the Restore Lion option.

5. howbotnik macrumors newbie

You don't even have to create a bootable disk.

Install Lion over the top of your Snow Leopard.
    Hold the option key on boot up
    Select 'Recovery Disk'

From there you can use disk utility to format your drive. AND install a fresh version of Lion from that location.

This does mean you will need access to your app store account again plus you will be downloading Lion twice, but if your connection is fast, it shouldn't matter.

H

6. Nick Rich macrumors newbie

I'm planning a fresh install of Lion to hopefully sort out an ageing and slowing iMac. However, I'm a bit concerned about getting all my data back. I've read that it is best to reinstall all apps rather than just use Migration Assistant to restore from Time Machine, so do I then just copy my home folder over manually? Will this get me back stuff like emails, address book and calendar data, or do I need to do something more complicated?

Thanks for any advice.

7. howbotnik macrumors newbie

I like to start a fresh too. You can browse your old time machine disk and copy the stuff across.

I tend to just do it folder by folder.

I have found that using the old iTunes folder in 'Music' brings back all your music podcasts, apps etc the same as your last computer.

iPhoto library also does the same.

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I did now two times on a Mac mini in the way apple described in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Works well; I just needed to make an external disk as I wanted to change the partions too and could not while booting from the internal disk.

And you need to makesure that your Internet connection can deliver an IP adressvia DHCP to the Mac to be rebuild. And your connection is fast enough.