Reinstall Mac OS After Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gilbert1020, Jun 11, 2009.

1. gilbert1020 macrumors regular

gilbert1020

I just upgraded my Macbook to a 500GB Hitachi hard drive.
    How do I reinstall Mac OSX Leopard?
    Does the reinstall disk that came with Mac have all necessary drivers
    to have Mac operating normally?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, use the disk that came with your computer and then run Software Update to make sure you have all the latest updates

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Gilbert, you're in for a treat if you've never done this before. Just format the drive and install Leopard. BAM! Nothing else to do but install the programs you want. It's so easy. So so so easy.

4. gilbert1020 thread starter macrumors regular

gilbert1020

Sorry newbie here, :rolleyes:
    how do I do this?

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Just start up the computer and immediately insert the install DVD. Hold down the "C" key and it will boot from the DVD. If you don't do this the computer will search until it finds a boot disc anyway, but this will save a bit of time.

It will then tell you that the drive is unreadable and ask you if you want to format. Say yes. Let it format, then double-click on the install icon on the DVD. Follow the steps that pop up and that's it.

6. macbook yes macrumors 6502

If ilife came with my new macbook, does that mean it will be on a new hard drive if i install the os on a bigger internal eventually? How do I keep my apps, but not have to bring all the random crap over?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ha, my bad. Guess I shouldn't have assumed anything.
    Just turn the computer on and put in the DVD.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes, iLife will be installed. What random crap are you talking about? If anything just do a custom install and turn off printer and language drivers.

9. gavin83209 macrumors regular

After you install Leopard off of the DVD, you will have a factory new MacBook. To copy all of your user information, you need to have access to the hard drive that you just replaced and run the Migration Assistant when it asks you during the setup process. If it didn't ask you (it should) you can find the Migration Assistant in your Hard Drive on the desktop, then the Applications folder, then Utilities, and finally the Migration Assistant itself. It should make an identical clone of your old hard drive onto the new one for you with very little effort required on your part.