Reinstall Mac OSX on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kumarhk, May 7, 2008.

1. kumarhk macrumors newbie

I'd like to wipe my MBP and reinstall Mac OSX on it. I'm pretty much a newbie to this stuff, so some clear guidelines would be a great help.

One worry I have is that if I reinstall, will I lose iLife 08?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If your bought your MBP recently iLife will be on your install discs. You should back everything up before you reinstall!

3. eb6 macrumors regular

4. kumarhk thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to reinstall because I want to play DVDs from all regions. I only learnt about the workaround in which you don't select the region and use VLC after I'd selected the region. Since this is a major problem for me, and I don't really have anything important on the MBP, I've decided to reinstall it.

Thanks for the info about iLife 08. Can anyone please give me some instructions on how to use the install CD to reinstall?

Thanks a lot!

5. MacAodh macrumors regular

I selected the region but still use VLC to play different regions anyway...

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

put the install disk in and restart holding down the C key, everything else is self explanatory, but once the installer loads, go to utilities in the top, pick disk utility, and erase the harddrive first, after you quit disk utility it will go back to the installer, after you select location, pick customize and remove the languages you dont want, as well as the printer drivers you arent going to use

itll save a good bit of space

7. kwfl macrumors 6502

that is right but things can go messy for a newbie this way.

there is a better way for a newbie

when the installation wizard asks you to choose the hard drive you wanna install Leopard in, Choose MacintoshHD and dont not click next yet. click on "Options" and choose erase and install. and then click continue.