Reinstall MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abu Rayane, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Abu Rayane macrumors member

Hello everyone,

My question is pretty shame, so if I reinstall my MacBook Pro, the Microsoft Office will be reinstalled or I should buy a CD and reinstall it again?

Sorry, I al new on that :)

Thanks

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you do a clean install (wipe the drive) then you'll lose Office. If you don't have a CD then I'm assuming that you originally downloaded it. In that case, I believe that you are able to log into Microsoft's site and re-download it for free.

3. Abu Rayane thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Nermal, so I should clean up my Mac, instead of reinstalling it, because I will give it to someone else, I don't wanna give it with full information

4. Blueinternet42 macrumors newbie

Blueinternet42

I think you're suggesting you want to give away (or sell) your Mac - but include the Office installation.

I am not sure that is possible. Even if you reinstall it before passing your Mac onto someone else, it is not their licence. They would need your Microsoft passwords etc.....

I think they will have to buy their own.:)

However someone may well correct me in a minute or two :D

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5189

You want to follow this and wipe the disk and reinstall the OS in step 5 there. That will just give the new owner the machine with nothing but the OS on there.

Don't try to give the new owner Office. If you do, you are going to end up cheating yourself like Blueinternet42 mentioned.

6. rmackner macrumors member

As far as I can tell office 2011 doesn't have or need a product key and you can reinstall it on as many machines as you want.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't use it, so can't say for sure. But from here it looks like it does. Just going from other posts on the forums I believe it does use a license key.

8. rmackner macrumors member

Maybe the new versions that I saw at walmart the other day that didn't come with a disc and just had a download link with a key. But the box that was released back in '11 didn't have a product key at all (that you had to enter in when installing). I think it might have a key on the installation but I used it on many macs over the years and zero issues to this day.

9. Abu Rayane thread starter macrumors member