Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Hi,

I've been tasked with trying to get Mavericks reinstalled onto a Mac that comes up with a network login after booting.

I have a bootable Mavericks image on a USB drive. However when I attempt to boot the Mac with the USB drive I get the Mac prohibited icon. I can take that same USB drive and boot with it onto a Mac that is not configured for network login.

Is there something from preventing me from reinstalling Mavericks onto a machine that is configured for Network login?

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Never mind. I recreated my boot usb drive and all is well in the world. Its weird my original usb drive would work on one Mac but not another. Strange.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Its weird my original usb drive would work on one Mac but not another.

I've been under the impression that the images are hardware specific.

For example, back in the days when Apple shipped media with a machine, the DVD was tailored for that type of hardware (i.e. Macbook disc could not be used to install an iMac). Or so I've read: noticed in the Hackintosh world that one of the warnings was buying random Apple media DVDs since they might have bits and pieces missing needed for Hackintoshes (best way to get a Hackintosh to work was with the "generic" retail media).

So, if true, can see that a recovery image has extensions and such specific to the hardware type it came from, possibly missing others.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've been under the impression that the images are hardware specific.

For example, back in the days when Apple shipped media with a machine, the DVD was tailored for that type of hardware (i.e. Macbook disc could not be used to install an iMac). Or so I've read: noticed in the Hackintosh world that one of the warnings was buying random Apple media DVDs since they might have bits and pieces missing needed for Hackintoshes (best way to get a Hackintosh to work was with the "generic" retail media).

So, if true, can see that a recovery image has extensions and such specific to the hardware type it came from, possibly missing others.
OS X installs from the App Store are not hardware specific. Certain models released after a version of OS X ships may need a special version, but as of now, any Mac that will boot Mavericks will start just fine from the version of 10.9.4 in the App Store today.

----------

Hi,

I've been tasked with trying to get Mavericks reinstalled onto a Mac that comes up with a network login after booting.
Is there something from preventing me from reinstalling Mavericks onto a machine that is configured for Network login?

Is there perhaps a firmware password on this computer?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
OS X installs from the App Store are not hardware specific.

True. But are recovery images generic? Or even disc image after install?

OP said "bootable Mavericks image". So, not the generic download from App Store, gone through some level of "post processing".

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
True. But are recovery images generic? Or even disc image after install?

OP said "bootable Mavericks image". So, not the generic download from App Store, gone through some level of "post processing".

Yes, they're all generic, with the caveats mentioned in my earlier post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.