Reinstall of Snow Leopard. Anything else I should do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by palau, Mar 21, 2012.

1. palau, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

palau macrumors newbie

I have a first-generation MacBook (paleolithic era, mid-2006) that has served me well for six years.

Last weekend, I migrated all of my data to a new iMac. I then reinstalled OSX Leopard and Snow Leopard on the ancient MacBook, effectively wiping it clean. My MacBook is a Core Duo, not a Core Two Duo, so it can't run Lion.

The MacBook is working very well again, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to maintain its health and wellbeing for another six years.

I am thinking about getting a solid state drive to prolong its usefullness. Anyone else in the forum put a SSD in a cheap, old MacBook?

Thanks for any serious and humorous suggestions!

2. reubenroyapple macrumors newbie

Yes, i have done the exact same thing with my core duo macbook, i just put a small cheap Crucial 64GB SSD in, because i dont want to keep loads of files on there, just a few songs, and can take it everywhere, my main computer is now a homebuilt PC, obviously not transportable anywhere.
    Also, i would consider upgrading the ram, if you have not already done so, to its maximum 2GB, because the 512MB it comes with really does hold it up a lot.
    Hope this helps (BTW there were no problems with installing an OS on the SSD, just like installing on a normal HD)
    :apple:

Reuben

3. palau thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I upgraded the RAM a couple years ago. I am now in the process of finding the right SSD. Thanks for your comments.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If you want to save some money and instead of putting an SSD in a 6 year old machine, I would look at getting a hybrid HDD. Hybrid HDD have usually a 4 GB SSD cache for your most used programs so it will load master and have a 500GB traditional HDD. Its a great way spruce up and breathe life into an older machine for less than $150. Plus the HDD half is 7200rpm instead of 5400 so you'll see a jump there too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

5. palau thread starter macrumors newbie