Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
I just did an erase and install of os x on my new 2.2 MBP 160gb. The only thing i've done so far is download the updates. Its saying there is 130.85gb available and 17.88 is already used.......what do i have thats using 17gb of space?? i assumed the os and combined apps took up the first 12 to take it from 160 to 148.!!??!! is this normal? before the reinstall i had about 450 songs and a few other things and the availability was 127. i didnt look at it before importing the songs so i dont know what it was then. anyone? is this right? thanks

----------Nevermind. i did some research and found out actual drive capacity is only 93% and osx/ilife probably takes up the rest(ihope

jrocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
thanks, first i did an archive and install but then i decided to do a clean one and get rid of the languages and stuff. everything is perfect now! thanks!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
you can save several GB of space by eliminating printer drivers and languages you won't use during an erase and install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.