Reinstall OS X without GarageBand and iLife?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farqueue, Sep 26, 2007.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

How can i Reinstall OS X without Garageband and Ilife?

I dont use any of these programes and they are on disk 2 of the install dvd

Id like to speed my reinstall process.

Cheers:D

2. bartelby macrumors Core

During the install process you can choose to customise the install. You can then deselect the apps you don't need.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

WHen installing there is a 'customize' option you can access which allows you to choose exactly what you install. Just leave out iLife, garageband and its loops.

SHadoW

4. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

Thanks guys.
    WHat is X11 btw? Do i need it?

5. bartelby macrumors Core

X11 is useful to keep, some apps are based on it.
    I'd keep it just incase.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Actually, if you don't use very many opensource apps and don't do your own coding, you can probably dump X11. You can always add it later.

7. trollking macrumors member

trollking

You can also save a lot of space by not installing the extra language support and also all the extra print drivers.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Correct. The only two 'major' apps that use X11 are OpenOffice.org (the open source Microsoft Office clone,) and GiMP (the open source Photoshop clone.) If you don't use either one of those, and you have to ask what X11 is, then you don't need it.

Basically, the way *ANY* Windowing operating system works is that there is a piece of software called the "window wanager" that is responsible for the actual drawing of stuff to the screen. For OS X, the "native" window wanager is called "Aqua". (I'm oversimplifying, by the way, for all you UNIX-heads.) In UNIX, the general window manager is X11. Essentially, since OS X is really based on a UNIX, it can use a true UNIX window manager, and allow "pure" UNIX applications to run with nearly no mofidications.

If you don't run UNIX programs, than you don't need X11. And, you can always re-install it easily enough if you feel like trying one.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Additionally, OpenOffice and Gimp both have Aqua native versions. They're under different names, though (I think the OpenOffice one is called "Office/J" or some such). Openoffice is, itself, alpha testing an aqua version right now...

So yeah, X11 is becoming pretty unimportant for end-users. I don't think I use it for anything other than OpenOffice in day-to-day use.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Rather than reinstalling just drag GarageBand and the iLife apps from Applications to Trash, along with:
    /Library/Application Support/GarageBand
    /Library/Application Support/iDVD
    /Library/Application Support/iMovie
    /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple

About 30 seconds to do that.

Edit: Add to that -
    Library/Documentation/Applications/GarageBand
    Library/Documentation/Applications/iDVD
    Library/Documentation/Applications/iMovie
    Library/Documentation/Applications/iPhoto

Add another 10 seconds to do that

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The third-party Aqua-native versions are NeoOffice (for OpenOffice, it used to be called "NeoOffice/J", but decided that was silly,) and Seashore (for GIMP.) (I use both of them, and have the X11 'original' versions installed, too, just to be safe.)

My previous post had originally been typed up about twice as long as it ended up being, and mentioned both of those native Aqua ports; but my notebook battery died, and by the time I got it plugged back in, MacRumors had timed my login out, so I had to retype the post, and shortened it in the process.

13. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

sounds like a space saver! I haven't used garageband - but with the other stuff, what would you watch movies with?

14. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

the Quicktime, vlc and dvd player apps

15. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Thank you for that. I've never used Seashore, though I've used Gimpshop. Comparison? Since we need the pro apps anyway, I mostly use Photoshop, but we only have two licenses so the older machines still have Gimpshop on them...