Reinstall OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davemg, Nov 9, 2011.

1. davemg macrumors newbie

I've read on hear someone wanting to reinstall the OS. A few people have have asked the reason to reinstall. One post said the only reason you should reinstall is if the hard drive failed.

I have a half dozen reasons why I need to reinstall OS X. I bought this Mac figuring I could use it for longer than a windows computer and not have any problems with it. I am getting very frustrated with this thing.

I have a Macbook and as I am typing this, it freezes every 20-40 sec. I have to stop typing and let it catch up. Sometimes my bluetooth looses connection, videos don't play very well, the umbrella shows up, the page stops scrolling, fan comes on after a few minutes of putting it to sleep, fan is almost constantly on high.

If there is a better fix, let me know, without buying a new or different one.

Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B06

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

There are several things you can check, and do to try and help. As you will read a lot on here. Go to Utilities >> Disk Utility >> select your Internal Drive and do the Repair / Verify functions for the Drive / Partition.

Generally Repair Permissions on the Partition will help a lot of issues, but it's also good just as a monthly maintenance thing.

After that, go to System Preferences >> User Accounts, and select your account. Click the lock icon under the accounts list, and enter your password when prompted.

Go to the startup items tab, and remove any items that don't need to startup and run in the background for your system. Reboot after applying the changes.

You can also open Utilities >> Activity Monitor and watch to see which processes seem to be running high when these freezes and oddities are happening. This could point out a piece of software or process that is causing an issue that you don't realize it's causing.

There are plenty of gurus on here, with other helpful advice, and a bit of searching will help out with that.

3. davemg thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the repair thing, I only have micorsoft mouse helper in the login items and I've tried Yasr. Nothing seems to work. Maybe it's one of "those" Macbooks. A faulty one.

4. davemg thread starter macrumors newbie

Chuck it

I'm about to chuck this piece of crap mac out the window. Stupid rainbow umbrella comes up every 20 sec.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Seriously, contact apple, they may offer some help. But it may not hurt to re-install the OS. It sucks, but occasionally it helps.