Reinstall OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geezup, Aug 21, 2012.

1. geezup macrumors newbie

OK so the hard drive crashed on my mac book pro , I bought a new drive and wanted to reinstall the OS.

1) I don't know which disk I need to start the installation process via CD.

2) Do I have to do anything with the HD I bought ?

3)This is my only MAC and I am not sure what steps I need to take on the Windows machine to get this going.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you Mac came with a grey Restore DVD or you purchased the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, start from it via holding down the C key upon pressing the power button.
    Then open Disk Utility and format the HDD accordingly:

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Or did you Mac come with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what model mac do you have the 2011 and onward have internet recovery if yours falls in the category, put in the new hard drive and on boot hold CMD-OPTION-R on bootup you should than see a globe spinning after about 10 minutes your should get a menu to use disk utility to format your drive how you want it and an option to download OSX

4. geezup thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find the leopard disk , so do I have to go out and purchase a leopard snow retail disk and boot off that ?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).
    Leopard and Snow Leopard is no longer available for sale by Apple. You may be able to find a vendor that has left-over copies, such as Amazon. Be sure you don't buy grey install discs from anyone, as they are model-specific and will not work on other models.

6. geezup thread starter macrumors newbie

It was built in 2010 and its model number is a1278