Reinstall question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XPcentric, Dec 26, 2010.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

I want to reinstall OSX for the first time because I mainly want to have a clean system, to get rid of all the files that have not been deleted when I remove some applications. Basically I want all apps removed when reinstalled complete

I've read OSX reinstall its different then windows, but I want to make sure I can do this clean reinstall. I want to know if the other documents and files will remain on my hdd as I dont have an external disc to back up

*also the system/the internet does not run as fast as those in apple store, this may be because of little snitch, hard drive space, or others.

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

You can download a System Pref. Pane called AppTrap.

Whenever you move an application to the trash, it will prompt you with a message asking if you would like to move the associated files as well. It is very useful for exactly want to you want do.

As for reinstalling. When you just delete an app in Mac OS X, you are doing exactly that. Just deleting the application, and leaving the preference files and all the other files for the app behind. If you go to reinstall that app, it will remember login info for example.