Reinstall/Restore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jvjava, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jvjava macrumors newbie

I am planning on selling my macbook, which has Lion installed. I would like to return the computer to the factory settings, where there is no user accounts, or user information on the hard drive, so when they turn it on, it is like it just came from the store. Does anyone know the best way to do this with Lion installed?
    Thanks,

Jon

2. simsaladimbamba

Since you bought Lion via your own Apple account, you can't really sell it with the machine. Snow Leopard will suffice.
    Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. jvjava thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help

I have done this in the past using the install dvd, but I was a little worried about Lion, with it coming from the app store and all... Thanks, again

4. jvjava thread starter macrumors newbie

Cannot revert back to snow leopard

I tried to restore with snow leopard disc, and it said the app. couldn't be used with this version of OS X

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Disk Utility is fine. A standard wipe can be recovered (because it just erases the directory), but if you zero the drive, it cannot be recovered by anything your friend has available.

OP, use Disk Utility to completely wipe the drive before attempting to reinstall Snow Leopard. To do it right, choose the drive from the menu (the listing that indicates the size, not the name of the drive), and click on the Partition tab. Choose 1 Partition from the drop-down menu, then the Partition button at the bottom. This will remove the Recovery Partition as well (which is what is preventing Snow Leopard from installing). Then you can install Snow Leopard.

jW

6. simsaladimbamba