reinstall route with lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carboncow, Sep 12, 2011.

1. carboncow macrumors member

I know there is much discussion on this. I was able to save my lion image from the initial install.

I'm going to restore my OS from Time Machine due to an upgraded to a 256gb SSD. What is the restore route considering lion?

is it:

Install Snow Leopard >> Upgrade to Lion >> Restore Via Time Machine

or the simpler

Install Snow Leopard >> Restore Via Time Machine (and thus it will restore Lion?

Who knows for sure and just not speculation?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The preferred method for upgrading to an SSD is to use CCC to make a clone of your existing disk. Unfortunately, this doesn't create the Lion recovery partition. On all the Macs I upgraded to SSD recently, since they were running SL at the time of the upgrade, I used CCC to clone the drives and then ran the Lion upgrade app afterwards.

Since you made a backup of InstallESD.dmg before Lion deleted it, I think you can do something like this...

1 - Plug in your new SSD with a USB to SATA adapter
    2 - Boot to either the recovery partition on your Mac or the recovery USB you made before the Lion install
    3 - Use disk utility to partition the new SSD using GUID/1 partition scheme
    4 - Install Lion to the new SSD

Now you should be able to reboot and pick the SSD to boot and prove to yourself it is bootable. You should also see both recovery partitions in your list: the one in your Mac and the one created on the new SSD when you installed Lion. If this is the case, I suggest you are ready to use CCC to clone your internal HDD to Macintosh HD partition on your SSD. Try booting again to make sure it is bootable and you are now ready to take out your old drive and pop in your 256 GB SSD (lucky you!)

3. carboncow thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you offer several good ideas.

I have used CCC but as you stated was hoping to get the recovery partition installed too and there seemed to be so conflicting discussions if it would copy or not. I like the 2nd idea of booting from the USB but now that I think about it I'll just go with CCC since I know I have a good image of the Lion install.

I hate to flaunt it but the 128GB SSDs I have in my MBP and iMac simple couldn't hold enough info for me! The are amazing and I just buy affordable refurbs from online vendors but by the time I put a Virtual Image of Win7 on the computers and a few other things the size gets tight...especially for the MPB. 256GB should suffice for many moons to come!