Reinstall Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stickyfingers85, May 22, 2013.

1. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

Hello

I have a mid-2009 macbook pro running the latest build of Mountain Lion.

After purchasing a new iMac I am looking to sell my macbook pro, but am I correct in thinking that I have to install Snow Leopard as that was the original software that came with it? I read somewhere that because I purchase Mountain Lion from the App Store, its tied to my account and I can't sell it with the macbook pro.

Finally, I have tried to reinstall Snow Leopard from the CD but it fails every time. I install the CD, hold down Alt when booting, and I can see the main partition, the recovery partition, and the install disk to boot from. After selecting it i get the spinning loading symbol for a few minutes and then the grey no entry sign.

I've tried using the built in super driver, and also a brand new external superdrive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't know a whole lot, but I might have an idea. The older os's like Snow Leopard and previous required a disc to load, and I believe as long as you have the disc it's legit. Perhaps a copy of the receipt will work in this case? AppleCare is long expired, so I doubt the buyer will be taking it to an Apple Store anytime soon. I've been thinking about selling my 2009 MBP with snow leopard update (no disc thanks to my authorized repair place). The only thing I might worry about is if you want to wipe your data and keep ML.

3. Macman45, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you are selling, just erase the Mac, the new user will almost certainly own a copy of ML. You should just supply the original media, and that's that.

You are correct in thinking that the ML copy is tied to your account, but I sell my Macs erased, with what (if any these days) disks shipped with them.

4. stickyfingers85 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies

Yes, I have the original disks for both Leopard and Snow Leopard. I plan on erasing all the data, and then reinstalling Snow Leopard. Whoever buys the macbook can then install ML if they want to

The main issue I am having is that when I try to reinstall SL I get the strange grey no entry sign when booting from the disk. It then just freezes on this screen and I have to manually reboot

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Hold down C instead of Alt when booting. It forces a boot from the disc drive.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I meant, don't install anything. Erase the Mac, connect it to the net, wait until it reaches the choice of network screen, then shut it down. I don't think it's a hardware issue, but if you want to test the theory pre-sale, then erase it as I post, and then try the installation yourself....Personally, I'd just erase and sell. Some folks are still holding on to SL, but Apple are not providing support any more, and it's odds on your buyer will want Lion at least.

7. stickyfingers85 thread starter macrumors regular

THanks, but as you say I want to check its not a hardware issue.

If I boot into the recovery partition, I have the option to download ML. I tried doing this and everything worked fine, ML downloaded and installed without any issue.

It's only when I try from the SL CD