Reinstall vs Transfer ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drsox, May 3, 2014.

1. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I'm just about the swap MacBook Airs. The old one has developed some annoying glitches in some software behaviour, so I'm going to reinstall some items.

Question : If I install a new copy of Mavervicks would I be better off also reinstalling all my apps and personal data or merely transferring this from the old MBA ?

I'm inclined to reinstall everything but as that's what I used to do every 6 months with Win7 I'm hoping OSX would not need this.

Cheers

2. janitor3 macrumors regular

Do a backup, then install a fresh copy of Mavericks.
    Then transfer what you want using migration assistant from utilities folder.

3. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

A re-install of Mavericks seems to have done the job. I had to create a Mavericks Recovery Partition though or I would have had to start from ML. Cheers.

4. Daniele Mnn macrumors newbie

Hi, I was following this thread since I may need to do the same thing as you did for a friend. I have a question: did you transfer the apps and data after the re-install of mavericks or did you started from scratch for everything?
    Thanks for the answer!

5. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

I reinstalled the one app that was giving me a problem - RealVNC. The other apps are still to be reinstalled/transferred. The "old" installs are still on a USB drive so what I might do is to re-boot into the "old" Mavericks, delete the "old" version of RealVNC and transfer across all the other apps plus user data. I'll repost if that goes badly !

It seems that the cause of the problem might well be the upgrade of Mavericks that I did (on 2 Macs - MBA and Mini) so I'll do a fresh install of Mavericks on the Mini as well. Make sure you have a Mavericks Recovery Partition before you start is my recommendation.

6. Daniele Mnn macrumors newbie

Thanks for the informations, coming from windows i find difficult to believe you can do these kind of things and not have problems, it's a great strength of the mac, i no longer need to reinstall the o.s. every 6/12 months!