Reinstallation help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forza69, Oct 17, 2012.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

So I bought a 13" MBP about 9 days ago. I've decided I want the Retina after all so I want to return the one I currently have. I didn't put much on the computer in these last few days but I have logged into my email accounts, iCloud etc, so just to make sure, I want a clean install. I tried following the instructions on the Apple website but I got stuck where it asks to select the start up disk and erase it. There's 4 different options I believe.
    1. 500.11 GB Apple HDD ############ Media
    2. Macintosh HD
    3. disk1
    4. Mac OS X Base System.

Which one do I have to choose and after it is erased, will I be given an option to reinstall OS X? I read that there's a recovery partition built into Mountain Lion, but I don't see it (should I see it?) and I'm afraid once I erase the disk I'll be stuck with no OS. I also don't have a USB flash drive atm.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

If its not a lot of stuff then just return it as is. Theyll restore it by shipping it off back to some Apple building or w.e. Some people may not trust other people erasing the hard drive for you but thats what the genius people told me when i returned my mac for another one

4. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Thanks so much man. I really appreciate it.

----------

Nah, it wasn't a lot of stuff, nothing really, just some apps and emulators, oh and music but none of it is important. It's all still on my PC. What's important to me is my email accounts, iMessage, iCloud stuff. I'm kinda paranoid when it comes to these types of situations so I like to do it myself lol.

----------

Jesus! 17 hours for it to download Mountain Lion?! I think... I want to cry. Why? Because I have a 1.4mbps download .40 upload speed internet.

5. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

One more question. I have come to the conclusion that 15 hours is way too long for me to wait. I need to return it tomorrow in the morning since I have to work all afternoon. Anyway, if I click on Cancel what will happen? What I want to do is cancel it, go to my brothers house where he has super fast Internet and download it there. Will the download stop and then resume or.... what?