Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Reinstalled El Capitan 10.11.1 with the supposed bettered USB problems.
My main problem was that it kept running down my Bose Companion 5 Speakers and the mail application gobbled up all my memory, and I have a lot 32 gigs.
My machine iMac 27 late 2013, 3.2 intel i5, 32 gig ram, 1024 nvidea video.

Uo until now it seems to be running OK without the previous problems mentioned. Still not totally convinced. Will be posting the good and the bad.

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Reinstalled El Capitan 5 days ago hoping that the email and usb problems would be fixed. Sadly one of the most important aspects of my iMac which is listening to music through my Bose Companion 5 usb speakers, is still the same, after the machine goes to sleep, or when another program starts say VLC, and the usb bus changes, when i try to restart my music program, Spotify, the Bose speakers simply will not give sound, so as a side way out hoping the Apple People will provide a fix, I connected the headphone out from the iMac to the auxiliar input of my speakers and i have music for now. What a hassle. What else if going on beneath the waves of El Capitan that i cannot see....................... Sometimes I miss my old unreliable Windows machine............

Reactions: George Dawes

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
be patient, there is still a couple of updates to go for el capitan, wait see if 10.10.2 solves it let us know it will be out most likely this week, if not for sure the next week

Reactions: Eduardot

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Well, 10.10.2 came out I installed it, and Sadly, the USB problems are not fixed. If I plug in my Bose Companion 5 Speakers to my USB hub, if i transfer data from any of my HDD plugged into it, the sound will come OFF. And if I plug it in a USB port on my iMac, the sound will come OFF and nothing but a restart will make it come back on. So what's next?

Music is an integral part of my Office Day, and cannot go without it. And I will not venture to buy another set of Speakers if the problem is not fixed.

Any ideas?

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I have a similar problem and I loose the connection to my usb webcam, both audio and video.

Only a restart fixes it, but it does not last long... :/

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Well the thing is that the Speed of the system is amazing as compared with Yosemite. El Capitan takes full advantage of my AMD integrated graphic card in my Mac Mini 2011. The system overall is so much more enjoyable that I can live with the problems at the moment... The main issues I have are:
- I have to do Skype calls with my iPad (not a big deal)
- The USB microphone is unreliable (not a big deal)
- Time machine is unreliable (big deal!)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
went back to yosemite

bliss :)
Its kind of funny, but this seems to happen with every version. Yosemite was highly derided because of its bugs, speed and what not. El Cap comes, and people fondly remember the older version.

People are comparing a mature, patched OS (Yosemite) to a fairly immature just getting patched OS and so of course the rough edges of Yosemite have been smoothed out, where as El cap is still a work in progress.

Personally, I've not had any issues with El Cap (knocks on wood). I'm running on a new iMac so I cannot move back anyways.

Reactions: Tucom

Queen6

macrumors G4
Well the thing is that the Speed of the system is amazing as compared with Yosemite. El Capitan takes full advantage of my AMD integrated graphic card in my Mac Mini 2011. The system overall is so much more enjoyable that I can live with the problems at the moment... The main issues I have are:
- I have to do Skype calls with my iPad (not a big deal)
- The USB microphone is unreliable (not a big deal)
- Time machine is unreliable (big deal!)

Another "nail in the coffin". For me all the "eye candy" in the world is utterly worthless if Core functionality (Mail, Preview Wi-Fi etc.) is compromised. Issues with third party applications I can get, Apple`s own absolutely not...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Its kind of funny, but this seems to happen with every version. Yosemite was highly derided because of its bugs, speed and what not. El Cap comes, and people fondly remember the older version.

People are comparing a mature, patched OS (Yosemite) to a fairly immature just getting patched OS and so of course the rough edges of Yosemite have been smoothed out, where as El cap is still a work in progress.

Personally, I've not had any issues with El Cap (knocks on wood). I'm running on a new iMac so I cannot move back anyways.

None of my Mac`s had issue with Yosemite from day one, I welcomed the performance improvements on the point releases, however dislike the flattening and reduced readability of the OS. Nor have I incurred any serious "show stopping" issues with any previous iteration of OS X.

El Capitan to date as been little more than a disaster for my usage, it has also made me consider moving my business related systems to Windows based hardware, primarily due to the slower cycle. Strictly from a business point of view I need the OS to be stable, applications to work as expected. The current 12 month cycle of OS X clearly fly`s in the face of this, as 10.11 so eloquently illustrates for me. The short cycle has concerned me for some time for the same reason, nor do I want to be locked into older hardware until Apple is capable of delivering a stable OS.

As I am approaching refreshing much of my hardware, early 2016 getting out of this cycle that Apple has created seems prudent given current issues with El Capitan irrespective of Apple`s upcoming hardware. 10.12 may resolve all, equally 10.12 may well bring further issue, with the current short development cycle it`s becoming too much like "rolling the dice" Windows 10 is not perfect, equally it`s making good progress, nor will the OS turn on it`s head every 12 months.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
El Capitan to date as been little more than a disaster for my usage,

Odd how one OS can have such diametrically opposed results. Its been nothing but stable and fast on my 5k iMac and on my MBP its fine as well. With the MBP, I could obviously downgrade if I needed too, but the iMac came with El Cap so that's the lowest version

I agree about the 12 month schedule isn't the best idea from apple.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Odd how one OS can have such diametrically opposed results. Its been nothing but stable and fast on my 5k iMac and on my MBP its fine as well. With the MBP, I could obviously downgrade if I needed too, but the iMac came with El Cap so that's the lowest version

I agree about the 12 month schedule isn't the best idea from apple.

Same here Yosemite was, and still is smooth sailing for me, equally a nightmare for others? Until Apple can assure that OS X updates are good to go from day one (Apple`s own Hardware & Apps) the 12 month cycle will remain a risk to productivity. Rolling back the OS is not a big deal, equally that`s not what we are paying for.

As for Windows not had an issue in years (W7+SP3) 8.1 and 10 are super solid, even on Apple`s hardware...

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As for Windows not had an issue in years (W7+SP3) 8.1 and 10 are super solid, even on Apple`s hardware...
The only issue I had with win 8.1 was on my MBP, the audio drivers and wifi. Most of them got sorted out. Windows 10 has been great for me on my SP3.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
The mail problems and now the hdmi problem means I will avoid El Capitan like the plague for anything that's not got an integrated screen like an iMac or laptop...

It runs fine on my dads tricked out iMac but pretty badly on 2 Mac minis , weird tbh. The latest HDMI output problem is bizarre.

Maybe the metal implementation is causing problems ?

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I've had no issues with Yosemite nor El Capitan with any applications or programs. Smooth and no hick-ups. I always have updated applications and never mess with my system out of the norm.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I've had no issues with Yosemite nor El Capitan with any applications or programs. Smooth and no hick-ups. I always have updated applications and never mess with my system out of the norm.
"out of the norm" :rolleyes: ??????
I could not succeed with the BootCamp received with El Capitan which doesn't use any longer a USB drive to store the support software...
To install Windows I had first to erase El Capitan and install a naked Yosemite just to use its BootCamp.
After Windows was there, I had to erase that Yosemite to clone back El Capitan.
Is BootCamp "out of the norm" or an integral utility of every OSX since Intel CPUs replaced those of PPCs? :rolleyes:
And what with all those users complaining about TimeMachine problems?
Is that also "out of the norm"??? :(

I wonder what in the eyes of Apple is now the norm :eek:
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.