Reinstalling Apps from the App store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dgr, Jul 4, 2011.

1. dgr macrumors member

My issue is every time I try to run one of my apps I keep getting a message that the app quit unexpectedly. An easy fix in the Windows world is to uninstall while keeping your data files and then reinstall. How exactly do I do this with OSX or is there a better way to handle corrupt/non-cooperative apps. TIA!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. dgr thread starter macrumors member

I'm using 10.6.8 and it's Borderlands GOY edition. I did what you said and saw the saved games were still there. I copied it to a second location as well just in case. Then I went back into the Mac store and every time I try to login I get "No GUID is available"....ugh

4. Nikh macrumors regular

On Mac OS all apps from Mac App Store are copied to /Applications/ folder. You can safely remove the app from there and re-download it again - app bundles doesn't contain any user data.
    However, if you have some corrupted saves or user data, which refuses application to load, you should check ~/Library/YourAppName folder for this data. Also applications store preferences at ~/Library/Preferences/, it would be something like com.yourappauthor.yourappname.plist.

5. dgr thread starter macrumors member

After fixing my login issue with the app store and reinstalling it works now and all my settings remain enact. Thanks all.