Reinstalling Bootcamp Services

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jonnysods, Oct 4, 2008.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hi folks, interesting question for you.

It's my fault, but I was trying to update the graphic drivers for my 3.06 iMac with the 8800GS. Had some issues, read some forums, which suggested removing the current drivers and replacing the latest ones. Didn't work, had to try to reinstall the drivers from the BC 2.0 disc. It wouldn't let me as I had 2.1 and it said it was an older version.

So then I started to uninstall Bootcamp driver by driver, starting with Bootcamp Services in Control Panel. It was removed, then the drivers installed fine after a restart. Problem was I lost all control for brightness, volume, the Bootcamp icon in Control panel which lets you choose which OS boots up after a restart etc.

So I tried to do a reinstall from the CD, but it kept crashing the computer (got some weird blue screen filled with MS-DOS like information then kept restarting. I can't get past this point, but I am desparate to get those controls back.

The worst thing about this is that it's my work computer, and I was trying to update the drivers so I could play LotRO on it!

Does anyone have an idea where I can get Bootcamp Services just on it's own? Or do I have to uninstall EVERY driver and start over again?

I have Service Pack 3 for XP as well, which needs BC 2.1. So would I need to roll that back as well.

Sigh. Wish there was an easier way to update those drivers! ATI have got it together for Bootcamp... (but I hate their gfx cards).

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I can not help your current problem. However with XP (and probably with Vista) you should make a restoreable backup prior to trying mods (that have the potential of corrupting your installation).

This is what nobody wants to hear at this point.

But I suggest in the future that you use WinClone from OSX to place a copy of your BootCamp XP partition someplace in OSX file system (even to an external drive). Then you could always recover to the prior state.

Neil

3. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Any other suggestions?

Serves me right for playing video games at the office I guess!