reinstalling cydia?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Vinnie Madrox, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

is there any way to reinstall cydia? mine is all messed up. i remember someone complaining about getting all these error messages from installing sources that are outdated and don't work anymore, so they where advised to SSH into the phone and delete some of them. i tried that and it just got worse and worse LoL right now it's to the point where it will sit at this screen forever and never finish loading unless i hit cancel:

[​IMG]

then when i hit cancel i get this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after i click ok, it refreshes and works, but i'm sick and tired of this, and i have a feeling it isn't updating and refreshing all the sources every time {i like to check for updates every few days}.

just now i tried adding a new source and it got stuck on that same step and i had to respring. it's really annoying.....is there any way i can just reinstall cydia without restoring my phone and re-jailbreaking it? i really don't want to go through all the hassle of that

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

well

you might wanna remove your pirate stuff not sure you will get help with that. ;)

3. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

i don't want help with that, i just want to know if i can start fresh with cydia without restoring {unjailbreaking} and rejailbreaking, and how i can go about doing it.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This should help you. I wanted to know how to do this awhile back just in case I ever had issues with Cydia. See my thread here (last post):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=887955&highlight=cydia

FYI, you might as well delete the repo for install0us.

5. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

ok, now here's a dumb question.....if i remove cydia {still have to figure out how to do that}, will that remove all the apps i installed FROM cydia? like will it uninstall quickreply sms, winterboard, etc....just want to make sure my phone isn't going to go crazy when i try and uninstall cydia

6. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

btw, that's one of the things i was trying to do when i SSH'd into the phone and was deleting stuff in cydia TO mess it up, trying to get rid of that source.....i thought i did:

[​IMG]

but apparently i didn't....

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you go into cydia and then manage sources and edit/remove the sources that keep popping up with errors.
    You dont need to remove and reinstall cydia.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, I missed the big picture, since I was answering what he asked. If it's just bad repos (install0us is one of those...it doesn't exist or work), just manage them from Cydia (i.e., delete them).

9. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

as you can see from the pic i just posted, they aren't listed in there.....that's why i thought starting fresh would be an easier idea.

EDIT:

please don't take this as me being arrogant or stubborn. if there's an easier way to go about doing this, PLEASE let me know

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I didnt check to see that close to what was listed in the pics.
    So even though you dont have them there thru cydia they still cause issues.
    Heres what to do:

SSH into your iPhone, hopefully you know how to do that.

Go to the root of your iPhone

Navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list

Download/copy the Cydia.list to your computer and open it using any text editor.

Delete the sources you dont need. For example, " http://cydia.instal0us.com/ ./" if this is the source you want to delete for example, simply delete that one line. NOT THE WHOLE DOCUMENT. Make sure you save the document as is. We are NOT adding any extensions.

6. Drag the saved document into the sources.list.d folder and replace the file.

7. Respring.

ALL DONE!

11. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

did that, now i'm getting this error {it never ends with my luck, i swear haha}:

[​IMG]

and i didn't see them in the list i edited {only had 4, i deleted 2 of them}

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sometimes you're not going to be able to fetch a repo. It may be nothing. Do any of the messages mean anything to you?

13. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

i have no idea what they mean, that's why i'm mentioning and posting them. it also "stalled" on me again {not finishing the "downloading packages", and having to cancel}

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I found this link:

http://www.telesphoreo.org/pipermail/cydia-packagers/2009-April/000763.html

which was of many on searching for namedfork and cydia. Maybe if you look through the results of that search you can figure out what repo you need to delete.

Or maybe just post your repp list that you got from doing what Applejuiced told you to do.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very weird.
    So you didnt see that Espero.cc source listed there?
    Restart the phone and try SSH again to that location.
    Next time stay away from adding all these repos to your phone.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I couldn't find that source from searching, but did find the other.

17. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

right now, this is what that file consists of

deb http://repo.beyouriphone.com/ ./
    deb http://apt.ripdev.com/ ./

that's it, i deleted the install0us one like you said before, and resprung. some of the ones i deleted a while ago, which caused this to mess up in the first place, where some that where in the "all sources" one, i remember that. that's where the ones from "installed from package" came from. but again, i'm just guessing here

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Jeez, you have some bad sources. Ripdev is no longer a valid source, either.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you install anything from those repos that its still running on your iphone?
    If a repo has been installed by a repo package, like from the repository section in Cydia, it can only be uninstalled by uninstalling the package.

Also look into this section of your iphone thru SSH and see if you locate anything with the name of the faulty repos that keep popping up.
    private/var/lib/dpkg/info
    If you do remove them.

Sometimes repos are really packages, in the sense that they are installed as packages. You delete them by uninstalling the package, in Manage... Packages.

20. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

::deletes and resprings again:: LoL

21. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

yea, from time to time i still use beyouriphone, but i don't *think* i use anything from the other one.....

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

i haven't bothered to ssh into my phone, but are all the normal repos that you start out with in Cydia somewhere else? Just making sure he hasn't lost those.

FYI to the OP: xsellize, rpetri.ch, beyouriphone, Sinful.iPhone are some good sources.

I just saw that I have ripdev. :)

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that list usually has the one you added after and not all the default repos.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just looked at ripdev and it doesn't seem to have anything worthwhile, besides icy, which you can elsewhere.

Applejuiced: Do you know anything about LogoFix?

25. Vinnie Madrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

ok, the only one left in the lest is beyouriphone. now i'm getting this error:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm guessing they came from the package "all sources" that i installed a while back....but i don't remember what apps i have from after installing that package. if i get rid of the whole package of sources, will i loose the apps i downloaded off of them?