Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UbuntuDied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
I somehow corrupted my iPhone 5's user files and possibly other parts of the system, probably from respringing it 6 times in 5 seconds (long story). It no longer can use cellular data and has other odd problems.

Anyway, I need to reinstall as much as possible onto it without restoring through iTunes because I cannot update past iOS 7.0.4 and lose my jailbreak. Plus I don't want the caps lock key to look like it's always on :p

I tried Saurik's fake Apple update servers to try and restore it to 7.0.4, but that won't work. Also, the tutorial for that was from 2009. Cydia and some of its packages still work, so I have those at my disposal. Plus the iOS 7.0.4 IPSW files are there. How can I reinstall as much of the system as possible without updating to the latest iOS 7?

UbuntuDied

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Give iLex or Semi Restore a try?

Thanks! iLex R.A.T. did the job. I downloaded the one that said it was for iOS 7, typed "rat" in MobileTerminal, and chose option 12 ("R.A.T. Restore"). Now everything is clean and working, and I'm still at iOS 7.0.4.

I was going to try Semi Restore first because it looked less sketchy, but it not only was Windows-only but required a download through Mega.co.nz, so I backed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.