Reinstalling for 10.5.2 - Which order?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Tuck, Jan 28, 2008.

1. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Hey guys, I've been experiencing some Leopard bugs and just to be sure I squish them all, I think I'm going to reinstall Leopard when 10.5.2 is available. I wanted to get your opinion on something. Should I go ahead and download the standalone combo updater to 10.5.2 and install that right after 10.5.0 finishes installing, or should I go ahead and install other updates (security updates, etc. that show up in Software Update). I'm pretty sure I should wait to reinstall iLife and other programs after I update to the latest version, but what about the things in Software Update?

Thanks!
    -Tuck

2. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Do a fresh install of Leopard then upgrade to 10.5.2 when it's out then run software update again after installing iLife and install whatever other updates are left.

I would probably run a repair permissions with Disk Utility after all the patches.

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I'd reinstall a fresh copy of Mac OS X 10.5 and then apply the full 10.5.2 update from www.apple.com/downloads, once it's installed you can install the rest of your software and then run Software Update until everything is up-to-date, then clean up any downloaded temporary files and clear your Safari cache, and then do a permissions repair using Disk Utility and reboot.

You should be able to apply the full 10.5.2 update and squish any bugs or issues you may be encountering as well, however.

4. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Thanks for your reply, MKnight. Yeah, I'm a stickler for repairing permissions after I do any kind of major install. I agree with you that it makes sense to do the update to 10.5.2 before running software update, because it will probably have some of the updates embedded in the update already.