Reinstalling from time machine on new hard drive, 15" 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raiders13rugger, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Raiders13rugger macrumors newbie

So as the title says I'm trying to reinstall everything on a new hard drive on my 2009 MBP. The new hard drive is a 750GB, 7200 RPM, 3.0 Gb/s seagate momentus. I have the July 2009 MacBook pro.

For some reason I have two OS X leopard install discs labeled disc versions 1.1 and 1.2 (both are Mac version 10.5.7), as well as my snow leopard upgrade disc. For some reason when I boot the computer I get a gray screen with a folder icon flashing in the center with a question mark on it. What does this icon mean and what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks!!!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Raiders13rugger thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, they are the grey discs that came with my laptop. I would copy it straight over from the external drive but the problem is I'm not being given that chance. I start my computer up and it goes to the initial grey screen and after a while a grey folder icon with a question mark on it starts flashing in the center of the screen. From there I don't know what to do. On the grey discs it says to hold "c" in order to boot from the disc but that doesn't work. Also is it a problem that I'm inserting leopard install discs but my time machine image is snow leopard?

----------

Something else I need to mention. My time machine backups are located on a separate external hard drive. They are NOT located on my new internal drive. I do not have an external enclosure for this hard drive.

4. Raiders13rugger thread starter macrumors newbie

Also: I have the 2009 MBP and the hard drive that it was installed with has a link speed of 3.0 gb/s but a negotiated link speed of 1.5 gb/s. the new drive I bought is listed as 3.0 gb/s. I had read somewhere that 2009 MBPs were made compatible with 3.0 gb/s drives via a software update. Is the this cause of my problems?

5. Raiders13rugger thread starter macrumors newbie

Just thought of something else: what if I CCC'ed my old drive onto my external USB drive, then installed my new drive, booted from the external, then CCC'ed the external onto the new drive...? Would that work? Would I still need to use my grey install discs?

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, that would work, if you have enough free space on the external HDD. Just be sure, when you clone back, to not clone the TM folder (backups.backupdb) to the new HDD.
    But if you get an external USB enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs, you only need to clone once, it costs around 10 to 20 € and you have an additional 250 GB to use.

7. Raiders13rugger thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, simsalad. I don't think I need to worry about space as my old HD is 320 gb, my external is 500 gb, and my new internal is 750 gb. So I won't have to worry about the different sizes, right?

8. simsaladimbamba

No need to worry.

9. Raiders13rugger thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, last question (I hope): Will I need the OS X Install discs if I boot off of a clone?

10. simsaladimbamba

No, as a clone of the Mac OS X volume is bootable and a 1:1 copy of it.