Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pleasehelpme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
ok, the deal is that i have pretty much destroyed my os by unneccesarily deleting files i thought to be worthless which turned out to be very useful. the question is, can i reinstall all of the essentials without loosing my personal goods and programs. im confused cos of the multiple users addition (im the only user) will i still be able to log in on my original account? :confused:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
If I were you, I'd just back up (as in copy) your entire user home folder onto an external hard drive or iPod or DVD (if it's small) or whatever. Then Erase and Install, and copy it back once you're done.

pleasehelpme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
unfortunately im not so blessed as to have any means of copying. as in, my computer doesnt have a cd burner or zip drive or external anything that could be of assistance. this kinda adds to the problem

i was thinking that i could do something really elaborate like zipping all my personal files and placing them in the os 9 area (a place safe from the os x reinstallation) and once installation is complete moving them back to their appropriate places. hhow does that sound?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
pleasehelpme said:
ok, the deal is that i have pretty much destroyed my os by unneccesarily deleting files i thought to be worthless which turned out to be very useful. the question is, can i reinstall all of the essentials without loosing my personal goods and programs. im confused cos of the multiple users addition (im the only user) will i still be able to log in on my original account? :confused:

Use the Archive and Install option, making sure the preserve user directories option is checked (I'm not on my Mac at the moment, so I don't remember the exact phrasing).

The only thing you'll 'lose' are 3rd party drivers and system preference panes you have installed - but these can easily be re-installed (if you have any).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.