Reinstalling Leopard, Can I save Office w/o discs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i4k20c, Apr 16, 2009.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hello,

I want to do a fresh instal of leopard! Since I am a student, i brought my leopard discs, ext. hdd, original powerbook g4 discs (for instal of ilife) back to my apartment at school but i forgot about my office 2008 discs! :eek:

Can I save office somehow on my ext. hdd, or is there a installer somewhere that I can save?

thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you do a complete "erase and install", no. Maybe if you could pull all the Office files off the computer first, including any additional files needed by Office.

If you do an "Archive and Install", yes. It'll put everything in the Applications aside so that after OS X is done installing, it'll still be in a separate folder.

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

yeah, that's what I was wondering was if i could basically "copy & paste" the applications or something since I don't have the disc.

I wanted to do a erase and instal because my computer has been acting very funny lately and I feel like I am missing gb for some odd reason. Also, i downloaded that stupid spyware bug a month ago and I've been wanting to reinstall ever since than.

4. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

my other option is to instal office 2004 which I DO HAVE at school right now. However, that means I need to first resave all my .docx into .doc's right? Office 2004 won't open up .docx will it?

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I'm not sure about what files Office requires, but if I had to guess, I'd take the entire Office folder from Applications. Also, check the Library folder in your hard drive -- if anything from Microsoft is in there, I'd grab it. You could also check the "Application Support" folder, which is within that Library folder -- again if anything from Microsoft is in there, take it.

Put those files on a flash drive or CD or something, and then after doing the reinstall, put them all back where you found them.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Office 2004 won't open .docx without a converter (download on the lower-right of that site).

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe use your Office 2008 serial number on an install of Office 2008 trial version?

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

To backup (and later use in a new install) Office '08, simply copy the Office 2008 folder in Applications. That's all you need - I've done it myself, just recently actually. It works fine - it'll act like the first time when you first load it, but it won't ask for a serial or anything (at least mine doesn't).