Reinstalling Leopard (first time since Jan 08)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dansai, May 6, 2009.

1. dansai macrumors newbie

I bought a brand new mac pro in January 2008 and haven't had to mess around with anything "under the hood" at all in that time (yay to Apple, Windows XP was every sixth months to stay healthy)

Anyway, my installation has slowly got messed up through installing random bits of software/toolbars/hardware etc etc and I think I would like to do a clean install of Leopard and start from scratch. I tried an archive and install but it didn't really cure my problems (mainly trash emptying sound was corrupt)

What is the best way of going about this? If it wasn't for having a massive iPhoto Library and gigs of emails I'd just install from scratch, but I'm really worried I'm going to lose something :(

2. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

I feel for you mate. I'm in exactly the same boat now. I know enough about Macs and OS X to be a little dangerous lol. I've spent the last year and a bit generally installing stuff and messing about and now feel it's time to wipe clean and reinstall.

As far as data goes I'm all set, I just need to back up my Documents folder and iTunes DB file and I can do it, the thing that's stopping me is having to reinstall all my Apps from scratch.....god that will take ages.

OS X is however not running as slick as it used to, because of my tinkerings.

Do I do it now or wait for Snow Leopard? Hmmmmm difficult choice. I have almost a week off after I get back from Crete in a fortnight so I may do it then.

Let me know what you decide and how it goes would you?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

google:
    reinstall leopard site:forums.macrumors.com

OSX is not windows. Reinstalling OSX is extremely simple (I do it when I sell an old machine).

4. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

*sigh* I should have expected this.

We KNOW OS X is easy to reinstall, but when you want to retain your data and settings and apps the problem isn't HOW to reinstall OS X but how best to and when

:)

5. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

May not be the best way, but here is how I do it...

I use an app called SuperDuper and make a bootable backup to an external... Then, when it's time to do the nasty (clean sweep), I confirm that my backup is current (and bootable), yank it... Then I feel confident booting from the OS X DVD and erasing / zeroing out the drive in the system, finish the install and updates.

Now, I reconnect the backup and pull out only the stuff that I really need.

The added benefit to this is that you still have your old build/config/everything on the external backup... AND can boot from it to check how you had something set or configured.

Been running in this fashion for years, and I haven't screwed the pooch yet! :p

6. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

If you drag and drop certain folders from user/Library/application support/ you can have all your settings back for those apps.

7. dansai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to back up my entire "Main" HDD and install a fresh copy of Leopard, then copy certain things over to their relevant folders etc. Nothing too important to back up other than the iPhoto & emails so I think it'll go quick smoothly :)

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Alternatively, there's another route. Download a tool called appzapper, drag the application you want uninstalling and hit the "zap' button! If you don't want the preference files deleting, just uncheck the appropriate box. It'll remove the application with any associated files. Though, it's not a free application, it's really worth having around.

Come to think of it.. I ain't reinstalled my OS for about 18 months now and it still rocking smoothly.