reinstalling leopard, how much space can I save?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SavageMac, Dec 11, 2007.

1. SavageMac macrumors member

bored, so will reinstall leopard as I have never done a mac installation before (im a noob)

When I reinstall and customize what is installed, how much could I trim the OS down? how many gigs could be saved?:D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I guess it comes down to what components of Leopard you use. :p

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

If you don't need it, dump X11. Dump the extra fonts, and the printer drivers you don't need. Dump the desktop pictures and User Pictures in the Library you don't need, then all the widgets and whatever app or utility you don't need like Airport Admin if you never use them. Download DeLocalizer from bombich.com and delete language support unless you speak Urdu or whatever.
    Altogether you can save perhaps 3GB... sometimes more.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

With the exception of X11 and the print drivers I would not recommend any of that and there's no way you can dump that other stuff during the installation process.
    The biggest chunk of space that's gets eaten up is from the language support which you can uncheck in the "customize" section of the installation process. The printer drivers take up a huge chunk so you can just uncheck what you don't need.

Don't remove fonts because you may need them and they don't take that much space up. The built in wallpapers are fine to leave alone.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Jeez with all that storage that you have in your signature does it really matter? Sounds like a waste of time to me. But I'll humor you and say you can save about 2 gigs. Not a big deal.