reinstalling leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qihuife, Mar 5, 2008.

1. qihuife macrumors newbie

my friend bought the family pack a few months and i borrowed the installation CD from him, so i could upgrade my tiger to leopard.

however, i've experienced sluggish performance since the upgrade (slow boot etc.. on this, i've tried everything. from clearing my caches to resetting the PRAM).

anyway, i've searched many forums, and it seems that the problem lies in the fact that i did an upgrade install, instead of an "archive install" or a "clean install".

recently, my sis bought a macbook. i was wondering if it's possible to re-install leopard on my machine with the installation CD that came with it.

please don't bombard me with the ethical issues on using the same license keys for more than one machine. IMO, apple should have tested the new OS thoroughly b4 churning out 1 upgrage/update after another.

i would like to know if there would be any technical problems using the same installation CD. for eg, whether there would be any conflict when me and my sis joins the same network (some softwares such as MWORD do not allow multiple copies of it with the same CD key to be run simultaneously on the same network). or, might any issues arise when we print through the network?

thanks.

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

1. There is no license key when you install. Technically you already violated the license agreement by using your friend's family pack disc.

2. Unless you have the same model macbook as your sister, you will not be able to use her disc. The discs that come with a Mac are locked to that specific hardware configuration.

3. I don't agree with people that say your problems are because you did an upgrade rather than a clean install or an archive and install. Usually issues like these arise from incompatible 3rd Party Software.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Its possible that the upgrade and install could be relevant issue, there could be underlying user and program settings that are slowing things down. You also might need more RAM, Leopard likes a lot of RAM to run.

You will need a retail disk to do the Archive and install, your sisters disks are machine specific so they will not work.

4. qihuife thread starter macrumors newbie

none

wow, that was really quick. haha. thanks!

what do you all mean by machine specific?

we're both using macbooks.

thanks

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

apple keeps upgrading and changing the specs of its products so even tho you both have macbooks, they may not be close in specs for the installer to accept them as the same