Reinstalling Lion but locked hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jampo827, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jampo827 macrumors newbie

So recently i got a 13 inch 2.4 Ghz intel i5 mac book pro. After a couple of months it pretty much didn't let me log in (i type in the pw, flashes, then brings me back to login screen again). Anyhow i tried to discover what the problem was through using disk utility, and it said my hard drive had to be formatted. I tried reinstalling lion with the recovery program but it said that my hard drive is locked. So it seems that the only option for me is to format the hard drive (?).

But the thing is because i have a bootcamp running in this computer, so i'm afraid that formatting my harddrive might screw up my bootcamp hard drive (but i'm actually not sure if it does that?). So formatting the hard drive is a last option. Are there any other options?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

In my understanding, bootcamp should be on a separate partition and won't be effected if you reformat the OS X section, but could definitely be wrong on that.

3. jampo827 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh i see.

but in the end, is ther an alternative to fixing the comp by formatting the harddrive?

4. poohat1000 macrumors 6502

poohat1000

mine said that, then i noticed it had two listings for my hard drive (just scroll down), the 2nd one you could install lion on. Weird