Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SquareOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Hi,

I am giving a Mac Mini server a clean install this week. At this point the two HDD's are not a copy of each other, however I would like to make sure the 2nd HDD will become a clone of the first one. So in case if disk failure it is easy to switch to the 2nd Hard drive.

What is the best way to perform an clean install for the Mac Mini and how can I accomplish to clone the HDD's.

Besides, the Mac Mini is not connected to an external screen. When clean installing the Mac Mini it will probably not be possible to open up a screen share? There are several other Macs in the network and I also have a thunderbolt cable available. Is it possible to connect the thunderbolt cable to the Mini together with a Macbook or possibly an iMac and use the macbook as external display?

thanks in advance.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I am planning the same shortly, I use superduper to clone my drives on a scheduled basis. I think we will have to connect a screen to perform the reformat and reinstall, luckily I have a few TV's with HDMI that I can use, but it would be nice to do it remotely.

alain651

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Unfortunately no…
I have the same problem, i keep my Mac mini server in my home small IT room, with UPS, Apple Airport Time Capsule (Time Machine backup), and an External HD backup.

My recommendation, just move your MacMini temporarily connect it to your TV or monitor to reformat your mini, and install the new OS, than activate screen sharing, and moved it back…

To do a clean install:
Created a USB drive
http://diskmakerx.com

Hold your OPTION Key when starting your MacMini, select Disk Utility, partition your drive or RAID, and install your OS.

Mirror your 2 drive is fine, but i would recommend to do an external backup to an external HD - clone your server ( i use CCC, its great program).

Also use the Apple remove desktop to manage my Mac mini remotely.. share screen is also very easy to use, if you only manage a few mac.

Hope it help!

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Well I'm going ahead with it today, just waiting for a final backup, then copying Plex Media Server and setting up the Server again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.