Reinstalling Mac OS 10.4 on MacBook with Busted SuperDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kestrel87, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Kestrel87 macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I recently bought a new 15" i5 MacBook Pro, and it has been absolutely sublime. However, I'm trying to get rid of my old Core Duo MacBook (1st generation), and would like to do a clean install of Mac OS 10.4 from the restore disks that came with the MacBook originally.

The problem is, the SuperDrive on the MacBook doesn't work anymore.

So, here are a few of my ideas:

1.) Install Mac OS 10.4 using the Remote Disc option. I've enabled the Remote Disc functionality using the two terminal commands found here. Originally, I couldn't access the drive due to some authentication error, but I downloaded Path Finder and got around that. Unfortunately, I was still left with the error, "The application 'Install Mac OS X' cannot be used from this disk." So, I haven't had much luck here, and it wouldn't seem crazy to me that Apple won't let you install Mac OS X from a Remote Disc via wi-fi.

2.) Use a FireWire cable to connect the two laptops, and use this "Target Disk mode." I haven't read much on this, but it sounds like it might work. I don't have a FireWire cable, though, so that would cost me about $30.

3.) Use an external DVD drive to install it. I don't have one of these, either, so that would cost me about $50. Honestly, this sounds like the most straightforward option, but also the most expensive.

So, my question to you guys (and gals) is this: What options might I have that I have not listed above, and what method would you suggest? Given a fully functional MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6 and a MacBook running Mac OS X 10.5 with a non-functional SuperDrive, how would you install Mac OS X 10.4 on the MacBook using the original restore discs? I should also note that I do have discs for Mac OS X 10.5 (what the MacBook is currently running), so if for some reason it is easier to accomplish this with the 10.5 discs rather than the MacBook restore discs with 10.4 on them, I'm all ears!

Thank you so much in advance! Please let me know if there is any more information I can give that would help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know where you live, but a Firewire cable (you need a 6-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable) can be had for less than 10€, often even 5€.

You can also use MRoogle and find plenty of threads about installing Mac OS X via a USB stick or HDD.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'll agree with spinderlys...if you can't find the firewire cable...may not let you install anyway, then you also might try an external DVD drive. You could possibly borrow one even.

otherwise, try the USB stick. MRoogle it.