Reinstalling Mac OS on the SSD Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GustavoRamos, Jul 21, 2012.

1. GustavoRamos macrumors newbie

Hey lads,

Just got my 13" MBP (the high end i7 one) and bought one Sammy 830 128 at amazon. It`ll arrive on tuesday. I bought a caddy to, so I'll put the standard hdd on the optibay and the ssd on the hdd tray. I'll reinstall the system from scratch (no CCC here, I'm making myself comfortable on the OS first, pretty much ****ing the instalation, so I'll do a brand new one on the new HDD).

I did google about that but did not find any "100% trusty" tutorial on how to install the new system... it seems it changed a lot from the old (?) to the new (Lion?) OS.

Thanks a bunch :)

2. GustavoRamos thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I'm wondering as well. Mine is a 15" 2012 (NOT retina) and I'm planning on doing the same, have a million questions.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Fast method: If you have Lion downloaded, create a full USB/DVD restore media. Does not require Internet connection.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1161069/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

Slower method: Your machine also has Internet Recovery which requires you doing nothing additional. Pop in the new drive and hold down Command + R. Requires Internet connection.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Last resort: Alternatively, if you have Lion installed and a Recovery partition create a minimal USB boot. Just like the former, but portable. Requires Internet connection.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

5. GustavoRamos thread starter macrumors newbie

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Not sure how that works, I have a Dev account and thus can download Lion from the App Store. If you want this option, you may have to pay for Lion.

I would honestly recommend waiting for Mountain Lion at this point. The same method works and you will get a free download since you just bought the machine.

7. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Yours came with Lion shipped. This method won't apply. Use method 2 on his list. Works like a charm. Just pop in the new SSD and boot.

However I suggest waiting for mountain lion. for mountain lion. The communities collective best guess is a wednesday release. If you do that then follow the steps for making a bootable ML drive here. Then swap the HDD for your SDD. Then immediately boot into your USB drive by pressing the option button as soon as the computer starts up. Then install ML on your SSD. You may need to format the drive. The installer comes with the tops requires to do so.

8. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Putting that into consideration, there isn't a real need to install the latest 2012 MBA/MBP/MBPR update, is it?

9. GustavoRamos, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

GustavoRamos thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, maybe this is the best plan. The drive will arrive at tuesday (i hope). I'm on the US for tourism only and I have to test this SSD before the 28th (when I return to Brazil).

I know these things have awesome QC on the factories, but never know...

Thanks for the suggestion eagandale!

PS: Still on that matter, when ML comes alive will I be able to download it more than once ? How they know I can apply for a free update?

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Firstly sorry for incoherency of my post. Need to proofread more.

No harm in running it.

You will need to submit a proof of purchase. Should be easy if you bought it from apple. Im not sure of the exact details but it should just give you a redemption key that you can redeem in the MAS. It should treat it like any other MAS purchase. However I'm not sure and there should be an official FAQ later. However with Internet Recovery available for your MBP the EFI should be able to download and install the software on its own. No real need to go via the MAS.