Reinstalling Mac OS X...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hatemail13, Aug 14, 2008.

1. hatemail13 macrumors member

I recently came with an error on my mac from trying to install/uninstall a program.

What I want to do now is to reinstall my mac (I have a mac book pro leopard)

1) Is it safe, meaning I will be able to reinstall all the applications that originally came with my mac

2) Will my mac work fine as it worked coming right out of the box

3) Will I still be able to successfully upgrade/update my applications (Mac updates, itunes, ilife, etc...)

Thanks

Also, in my laptop box There were two discs for reinstalling but I was reading teh Manuel and it said use Disc 1 ....what is Disc 2 for?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, if you wish to reinstall (the "erase and install" option) it will be exactly as if your Mac was right out of the box; you'll have your original applications, you'll be able to install updates, etc.

However, depending on your problem, there may be an easier option. What happened?

3. hatemail13 thread starter macrumors member

Well here... (I posted this on yahoo answers)

I have a mac book pro (leopard) and recently got a copy of Avid Express Pro.

I tried to install it...it didnt work
    I tried to uninstall it...it didnt work
    So I just put the files in the trash

Now everytime i start up my mac i get this message

SYSTEM EXTENSION CANNOT BE USED
    The system extension "/System/library/extensions/DigilO.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the products vendor for an update

HOw do i get rid of this message? I just want it to go away...I don't even care about the Avid express anymore....

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What happened when you ran the uninstaller? (More detail than "didn't work" please.)

5. hatemail13 thread starter macrumors member

It said

"ERROR: couldn't load installer property list"

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And if you try to run the installer, then what?

7. hatemail13 thread starter macrumors member

About 33% into installing it says (i hit continue)

SYSTEM EXTENSION CANNOT BE USED
    The system extension "/System/library/extensions/DigilO.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the products vendor for an update

Then at the end it says

INSTALL FAILED
    The following install step faild: run postflight script for Avid Codecs LE. Contact the software manufacture for assistance

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Short of contacting the software developer, I'd try removing the offending .kext file manually. It should be in your System/Library/Extensions directory. First drag it out to your Desktop. This will make a copy (just in case). Then hold down the option key and drag it from the folder into the Trash. You will be asked to type your admin password. Now reboot and see if you still get the error.