Reinstalling Mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tejeshwarsekhon, Jul 10, 2015.

1. tejeshwarsekhon macrumors newbie

I have run out of space on my 11.6" MBA. I only have iPhoto library of 10GB except that i don't have anything on this mac, Still i have 0 MB left on my 64GB SSD. The mac has really slowed down since past couple of months. I am currently on Yosemite.. So i want to know how can I reinstall Yosemite ?? Also how can I take a backup of iPhoto library ?? Just copying the photos on a External drive will do ??

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Copying the whole iPhoto library (it's a folder in your Pictures folder) to an external drive will suffice.

To reinstall OS X, just hold Cmd+R on startup. Then when you're in OS X Utilties, open Disk Utility, and format Macintosh HD (the bottom of the two partitions, as it won't let you format the top one). Ensure you format as OS X Extended (Journaled).

Then close Disk Utility, and select the option 'Reinstall OS X'. Then set it to reinstall to your newly-formatted Macintosh HD partition. Ensure you have a stable/quick Internet connection as it downloads the components necessary.

3. tejeshwarsekhon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks will do it :)

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

What are you hoping all be the outcome of re-instlling 10.10? That the performance will return to your MBA? The slow down you've seen is because the disk is out of space. The OS needs a little bit (in this case perhaps 1-2 GB) for working room, perhaps more for swap if you don't have much memory. If you are hoping re-installing the OS will help, I would try to install as little as possible. If you otherwise like the system, consider getting a larger disk. I suspect 128GB drives can be found for not much - most people have long outgrown that size.