Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collectiveevol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Hi All,

Lately my mac has been freezing up.. almost everyday now, when a month ago is was fine (and had been for over a year) never freezing once. I am thinking I need to do a reinstall of the operating system.

A few questions,

Will I still be able to keep all my current programs?

How do I do this?

Any help and/or additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tamara

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I would strongly recommend against reinstalling OSX at this point. Are you experiencing kernel panics (system asks to be restarted), or something else?

Please describe your symptoms more completely.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Two things:

(1) Make sure you have at least two copies of everything you care about. Do those backups ASAP and put them away, out of reach. (Three copies with one of them off-site would be better.) Don't forget the "ASAP" thing, see #2 below

(2) re-installing the OS typically does nothing. Yes if you owned an MS Windows computer you likely did some re-installs but Windows is a unique OS in that way. I'd bet that your problem is hardware related. (This is way I said do the backups now, not later.) If I had to guess I'd guess an intermittent RAM failure. But sometimes connectors are loose and pulling them out and pushing back in cures the problem. A re-install is unlikely to fix anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.