Reinstalling Mavericks could make my old 2009 MacBook Pro faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alvi, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I have a 2009 13" MacBook Pro with the 2.26GHz Core2Duo, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD...

I am thinking about replacing it soon but I can't really afford one to fit my needs (I would prefer a quad 15" one) and I really don't want an Air, even the air is probably way faster than what I have now anyway.

I get super low frame rates watching 1080p video and iPhoto is really really slow, things like this bother me a lot...

I've been thinking about reinstalling OSX also because I have a lot of crap on my Mac anyway, but will it make it faster, does 1080p video perform like this on all 2009 MacBooks with the Nvidia 9400M?

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Low 1080p frame rates when streaming from the internet? Or when playing from local drives? Are you actually running this on Mars? There would almost certainly be some latency when streaming from Earth based video providers (which would include most of the big names like Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube). This would be true even if your ISP is based on Mars.

Did this slowdown happen gradually or suddenly? If suddenly, did it correspond to any changes or updates made to the system? Is the same true of iPhoto performance?

3. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

It shouldn't behave like that, what do you have your power settings on? That might be affecting it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a lot of stuff on the Mac as you say, perhaps a fresh install of your current OS is a better move then upgrading to Mavericks. I'd try that before going to 10.9.

Since this would be a fresh install, back everything up before working, and then wipe the drive.