Reinstalling Mavericks Fresh?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by C4FF, Oct 25, 2013.

1. C4FF macrumors member

Hey all, little help needed as I'm not managing to work this out on my own.

I installed Mavericks on my latest macbook air, and it's great! But my uni previously installed loads of rubbish software (anti virus and junk, hard to get rid of completely) so I want to start fresh! I don't have anything I want to keep on here so it's fine to just format the drive.

But here's the problem, at the moment I can't follow the instructions to make a USB boot drive because when I try to re download Mavericks from the app store it just doesn't work (even when I click the "continue anyway" popup).

The only other thing I can think of is internet recovery, but the internet recovery system for this macbook air is still on Mountain Lion and I can't figure out how to get it on Mavericks.

So do I have to internet recovery to mountain lion and re download mavericks through the app store and RE RE FORMAT?

Thanks in advance all!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

It should be enough to boot into the Recovery Partition, erase the disk with Disk Utility, then install ML. You can then update ML to Mavericks by downloading and running the app. Hopefully that'll work after a clean install.

3. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

What I did:

Time machine backup (so I can restore if don't like something).

I just upgrade to Mavericks with App Store.

I test all programs how works under Mavericks and everything was ok.

Copy my keychains and entire user folder, so I can restore some important (for me) things manually (like bash_profile, Chrome profile, Skype profile, etc.).

Time machine backup.

Reboot to recovery console.

Erase my main partition.

Install Mavericks (~hour for download and install).

Install all soft I need and restore some things.

And now I hope to be able to sleep very well :)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Since you already installed Mavs, you now have a Mavs recovery partition and it is easy to reinstall Mavs. Just command-r boot to recovery then start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Utility and click install OS. The OS will DL from Apple and install giving you a clean install.