Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imenica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Hello folks!

A bit stupid question, but bare with me, im first time Mac user.

I bought 2012 Macbook Pro, and it comes with Mountain Lion and few apps from previous owner.How can i delete everything and start with clean installation (after that i would upgrade to Mavericks)?

On Windows based PC's i would simply insert CD, boot from it and reinstall everything, how this works on a Mac?

Thanks for your help!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just boot to Internet recovery by holding command-option-r (all three keys at once) when you boot.

That will get you this spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads.

dmAwEZf.png

Then you will see this screen. Start Disk Utility and use it to erase Macintosh HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS. That will download the ~5GB OS and install it. When it completes you will be prompted to setup a new account. This will give you nothing but the OS on a clean drive.

Xm7rMyl.png

Then if you like after that you can just download and install Mavericks from the App Store over top of the Mountain Lion install.

This Internet recovery process will always get you back to the OS that came from the factory.

imenica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Just boot to Internet recovery by holding command-option-r (all three keys at once) when you boot.

That will get you this spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads.

dmAwEZf.png

Then you will see this screen. Start Disk Utility and use it to erase Macintosh HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS. That will download the ~5GB OS and install it. When it completes you will be prompted to setup a new account. This will give you nothing but the OS on a clean drive.

Xm7rMyl.png

Then if you like after that you can just download and install Mavericks from the App Store over top of the Mountain Lion install.

This Internet recovery process will always get you back to the OS that came from the factory.

Thanks for your help :)
Since OS would be downloaded, i guess i would have some option to connect to WiFi first?

Would it be possible that i download Mavericks, and then boot it up from USB to delete current OS and install it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for your help :)
Since OS would be downloaded, i guess i would have some option to connect to WiFi first?

Would it be possible that i download Mavericks, and then boot it up from USB to delete current OS and install it?

Yes... just before that globe screen you will be asked to select a wifi network to join.

Yes, if you prefer you can just "buy" Mavericks now then wait for the DL to complete and quit the installer. This will leave the Mavs installer in your Applications folder. Then use a 8GB USB key with this free app to make a USB installer.

Then you can option key boot the installer and follow the same process I explained earlier. This will get your straight to Mavericks.

imenica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Yes... just before that globe screen you will be asked to select a wifi network to join.

Yes, if you prefer you can just "buy" Mavericks now then wait for the DL to complete and quit the installer. This will leave the Mavs installer in your Applications folder. Then use a 8GB USB key with this free app to make a USB installer.

Then you can option key boot the installer and follow the same process I explained earlier. This will get your straight to Mavericks.

Thank you, one more, then im off lol

You wrote "buy", i tough it was free (Apple site says that)? :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you, one more, then im off lol

You wrote "buy", i tough it was free (Apple site says that)? :D

It is free and that is why I put "buy" in quotes. You still need to go to the App Store app and "purchase" (free) Mavericks to get the download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.