Reinstalling operating system on iMac with no discs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Axis Mundi, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Axis Mundi macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Hoping for some help here (and patience as I'm a complete novice with such things). I have an iMac 2007, the MA877LL model. I need to zero and reinstall the operating system but have no discs. Apparently this model originally shipped with Tiger 10.4.10.

Obviously I need to obtain some discs from somewhere but am confused as to whether I need to find these exact discs (10.4.10) or whether any Tiger installation disc will work and do the job or whether I can download what I need from somewhere legitimate.

Also, not sure if anyone knows if I can then go straight from Tiger to one of the more recent operating systems (Mountain Lion or Mavericks) or do I then have to obtain a leopard disc and then snow leopard etc etc and build up the operating system incrementally. Just looking for the quickest and easiest way to do this really and very confused from the info I've found online.

If anyone has the answer to this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The grey install disks that come with a Mac are model-specific and will not work on any other model. You can order replacement install disks for your model by calling Apple.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The quickest way would be to buy the retail Snow Leopard disk, you then install Snow Leopard (can use this disk to wipe the computer first) and update it so that it has the Mac App Store (10.6.8). You can then download Mavericks from the Mac App Store and upgrade to it.

Make sure to check that your computer can run Mavericks as it will need at-least 2GB RAM. Your computer should officially support 4GB but is capable of supporting 6GB RAM.