Reinstalling operating system

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StandardRose, May 19, 2017.

1. StandardRose macrumors newbie

StandardRose

I have a MacBook Pro, fairly old roughly 2011, I recently wiped it and started reinstalling the operating system, only thing is it said it could not be installed. So I tried to partition it, didn't work either. Tried to perform first aid on my disk, didn't work. Tried to restore it.....
    Didn't work. So I'm guessing my MacBook is toast because nothing as far as I can see works.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

More likely the hard-drive is dying, based on your description. What is the exact model? 13/15/17"? Also is it definitely the 2011?

Hard-drive replacement is very easy. Throw an SSD in there instead and it'll run better than new.

3. StandardRose thread starter macrumors newbie

StandardRose

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ok. It could also be HDD cable as they're notorious for failing on that model. There's a silent repair program for it so if the HDD cable is failing, Apple will replace it for free.

Could just as well be both HDD and HDD cable, of course. Best to take it to an Apple Store/AASP to see what's what.

The good news is: it's definitely one of the two problems, if not both. In either outcome it's a very simple repair or a free repair. So there's no cause for concern.

5. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

You could also put the drive in an external USB case and see in the os will install externally.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Installing 10.12? Then yes, maybe the HD is at fault. 10.11 or even 10.10 it could be the date issue where you have to set the date and time manually, install the OS and then re-enable auto time syncing.

7. Fishrrman, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman's rule #1 of Mac:
    Never, NEVER, NEVER "wipe" a Mac's internal drive UNLESS you have a SECOND bootable drive (i.e., bootable "to the finder") by which to start it close-at-hand. And, TEST the backup first to know that it will work before you do the wipin'!

Having said that, I agree with the advice of others here to take the MacBook to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store RIGHT AWAY (provided one is close to you) -- they have a free repair program for the drive ribbon cable.

That might get the drive going again. A defective cable will make it appear as if the drive is dead (even when it's still fine).

BUT -- if you want to REALLY improve the laptop, put an SSD into it. A modestly-sized SSD is cheap (I would suggest either 240 or 480gb).
    They are VERY easy to install -- a 15 minute job. ANYONE can do it.

Go to ifixit.com to see the procedure.
    Be sure to use the right tools (phillips #00 driver and TORX T-6 driver, both can be found at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, and online).

I also advise folks to buy an external USB3 2.5" enclosure. Use this to "prep and test" the new SSD -before- you install it. Although in your case, if the hard drive has failed, this wouldn't matter.
    If it's "just the cable", chances are the internal HDD is still ok. After you do the drive swap, put the HDD into the enclosure and use it for backup...

8. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

It should be recognized that a bootable media is required before wiping any drive and it should be tested for booting.