Reinstalling OS 9 Alongside Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Stevo B, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Stevo B macrumors newbie

I got a little ahead of myself when installing Tiger on the G4 sawtooth I picked up at the thrift shop. It was booting os 9 and I erased and installed tiger. Probably because I reformat so many windows systems a week and just do it without thinking that the old OS might be useful.

Now I find myself with a dual CPU upgrade for the Sawtooth that I can't install until I update the firmware. Which is impossible (to my limited knowledge) without booting OS 9.2.2.

I would like to install OS 9 (assuming I dig up an old disk) without losing my current tiger install. I don't know if this is possible. I guess if its not I can use one of my old smaller drives to run the OS 9 installation just to update the firmware. Also, how much disk space does it take to run OS 9?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're in luck - Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X 10.4.X "Tiger" can coexist on the same partition, as long as the Mac OS 9 drivers were installed when the disk was formatted. Mac OS 9 itself takes only 225 MB of space (assuming a typical installation), and will work just fine in a 1 GB partition, should you elect for that route.