Reinstalling OS X questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EB66, Apr 29, 2008.

1. EB66 macrumors 6502

Im going to do a fresh install of os x on my computer because I have been having problems with it and would like to know that if I back everything up with time machine will I be able to go back into time machine and restore final cut pro? or will I have to reinstall using the install discs which takes hours?

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I'm not 100 percent positive, but I don't think it will let you just copy it off your backup unless you do a full restore.

I think this means you're going to be installing it from disc unless you do a restore, which kind of defeats the purpose of the re-install.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yep Time Machine backs the whole system up so if you do a reinstall and then restore your Time Machine backup you will bring across the problems you had before.

do you have Final Cut Studio installed or Final Cut Express? as Final Cut Pro is part of Final Cut Studio… anyways a lot of different files would have been installed as well as the application so it would be very hard to restore them manually. youll be better off reinstalling from the install discs.

however you could drag across the applications and some of the files if you know where they are and then do an 'upgrade' from the install discs as the installer will notice that you already have some of the files installed. could save some time.

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

make sure to repair disk permissions before re-installing the operating system, its just a nice safe guard to have so that you might not have as many problems

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

How does this have anything to do with a wipe? You blow it all away and start fresh. If you delete a file, you no longer have the ACL / permissions associated with the file - so why set them just to blow them all away?

You don't need to do this step, it's a waste of time.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What problems are you having? Most problems with OSX don't require an reinstall, and some can actually be made worse by attempting to reinstall.