Reinstalling OS X + Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lucas3735, Nov 23, 2010.

1. lucas3735 macrumors newbie

So what I want to do is fairly simple. I have a MacBook which uses Time Machine to back up to my external hard drive. My MacBook's copy of OS X is the cloned image of my old PowerBook and my iBook before that. It's never had a fresh install of OS X and has just been cloned/upgraded from machine to machine. What I want to do is take what files I want to keep (iTunes library, bookmarks, etc), put them onto my external and then restore them after a fresh install of Snow Leopard. What I DON'T want to do is restore OS X and ALL files from my Time Machine backup after the fresh install. Once I reinstall OS X I want to set Time Machine back up fresh on my MacBook. Do I delete the Time Machine files and then re-set it up? Is there anyone who has done this? I'll provide more info if this doesn't make sense. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would just transfer the files you need to the external HD, then reinstall OS X and then simply transfer the files back. You can keep TM there just in case but erase it after everything is okay

3. lucas3735 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my plan. I guess my question was once everything is set in place do I just delete the TM files and re-set it up? Or are there other steps or whatever. Thank you for the response.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're sure that you don't need any of the old backups, then go ahead and delete them. TM would do that automatically when it fills the HD