Reinstalling OS X w/out disc 2?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BadlyDrawnGirl, Nov 9, 2007.

1. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

I'm really worried...I desperately need to reinstall OS X (have had this system for almost three years and it's horribly slow) but because I have been traveling extensively in the last year, I can only find Disc 1 of my reinstall discs. :( I've torn up all of my belongings but just cannot find the second one. Am I able to reinstall the system with just the first disc or is the second disc essential? And if it is, would I have any chance of getting a replacement from Apple?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Anything against getting Tiger or Leopard for this Mac? It'd be a lot easier then hunting down Disc 2.

3. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Well, I don't really have the money to spend on purchasing a new OS, plus I'm in New Zealand at the moment where all Apple products are astronomically more expensive.

I just checked Apple Docs and they said that Disc 2 was only GarageBand and iMovie and supporting files, so I should be okay, right?...

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

you should just sell that computer and get a new computer
    or
    buy a new OSX CD

5. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Umm...if I can't afford to buy a new OS at the moment I definitely can't afford to buy a new laptop.

But thanks...

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

It might be worth contacting apple. I've heard of instances in the past where they were willing to replace OEM CD's for shipping and handling charges only (about 20 bucks U.S. if i recall correctly). Worst they can do is say no.

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

In Panther, you only need Disk 1 if you do a Minimal Custom Install.

8. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

It's Panther, the disc is for version 10.3.5 - is there an option when I boot from the disc to choose this Minimal Install?

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Disk 2 is generally to install the extras like the iLife Suite but yeah it generally requires both discs is you are installing from the restore disc.

10. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Well, if someone can confirm that I only need Disc 1 to do a minimal install, then I'm fine with that - I never use iLife anyway (except for iTunes, if that counts). I just don't want to get stuck with a message saying the system cannot boot without inserting Disc 2 or something...

11. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

In the installer, you will have the option to customize. It will be a button on the bottom at one of the stages.

When customizing, only include essential system files (dump all the extra fonts, applications, and drivers) and you should be ok with just one disc. I highly suggest downloading Carbon Copy Cloner (Link) and cloning your current drive to an external if possible, just in case it goes pear shaped you'll be able to have a working computer again. You may be able to borrow an extra drive if you don't have one.

Or, if you're super concerned, just try deleting a whole bunch of files you don't need and run all your diagnostics (download Cocktail or something similar and run all the scripts). Another option is to get a copy of iDefrag and run that, it will give you some new life. But the biggest performance increase you'll see will be creating more open space on your drive, so anything non-essential should be deleted whatever route you take.

Good luck! :)

EDIT: itunes is not part of iLife, though it may not install in the minimal, but you can then download it from Apple. Again, note that you SHOULD be able to do an install with only one disc, I think I've done it before, but I can't be 100% sure, so definitely back-up if possible...

EDIT 2: If you try this route and it demands the second disc after the restart (it will automatically restart at the end of disc one), try hard shutting down (hold down the power button until it powers down) and then reboot. If it prompts you again, you may be out of luck, though I'd bet if you google around you'll be able to find instructions on how to complete it in single-user mode without the disc...

12. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for the advice. :) I'm in the process of offloading my photographs to external storage...my next mission will be to fix my iTunes library, since (as I've mentioned elsewhere) there is a corrupt file in there somewhere that is preventing me from syncing it with my iPod. In case of a complete disaster I've managed to track down a friend in the States who works at Apple and is willing to get the discs for me if I need them. Spoke to someone on the New Zealand helpline who said they were unable to help me since I purchased the system abroad, and couldn't get anyone on the US line (either because of the time difference, or because I don't have Applecare, I doubt I'll have much luck down that route anyway).

So, I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best... ;)

13. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Any time! Let us know how it turns out. Again, if you're unsure on the reinstall, try optimizing the system you already have installed (repair permissions, clean out unnecessary files, run scripts with Cocktail, etc.) and see if that improves it enough. And again, good luck!

14. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

When you Install, select Custom Install, do not Install the foreign languages, the extra fonts or any of the extra stuff such as X11. If the Installer asks for Disk 2, you will know that you are installing something that is not necessary, so try again.

15. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

I'll give it a try; thanks for your help. :)