Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lemmiwinks531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
I apologize in advance if this has been asking and answered before, but after a cursory search of the forums, I didn't see an answer to this particular question.

I am new to the Mac world, and I am buying a MacBook Pro off of cragslist for a very nice price, but before I go through with it, I want to make sure I can make it work for me. The previous owner partitioned the HDD and installed Windows 7 which isn't a problem with me, but he made it so that almost the entire HDD was the Windows drive and uninstalled OSX. I want to repartition the HDD while keeping Windows 7 to about a 30 GB slice, and reinstall OSX. I looked into the GPARTED program which should help me change the partition amounts without reformatting. How difficult will this be? Do you have tips or advice that I could use? I am very new to the whole partitioning thing and am only decent with computers, but I follow directions well. Is this worth it or should I keep looking for a good deal on craigslist that doesn't involve as much work?

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
I would advise you to not use GPARTED as Bootcamp is pretty finnicky when it comes to how the volume header, efi boot, is set up. Really it's best to boot from a Mac OS X install DVD or gray disc that came with the machine and use disk utility to re-partition the drive to 1 partition then install Mac OS X on it.

Once OS X is installed and setup, run Boot Camp Assistant and then install Windows.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
No matter where you buy it from be it Ebay, Craigslist or wherever be darn sure you get the original install discs that come with a new Mac. Otherwise walk away. No make that run.

Lemmiwinks531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
So, I should only buy if the ORIGINAL install discs come with it? What about a copied version? What makes it a bad deal if that is the case? I'm sure these are moronic questions, but I just want to be safe.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
So, I should only buy if the ORIGINAL install discs come with it? What about a copied version? What makes it a bad deal if that is the case? I'm sure these are moronic questions, but I just want to be safe.

I'm always leery of Mac's being sold for "good" price. Thieves don't usually steal the discs, just the computer. The original discs contain the OS, all original software and a hardware diagnostic app. Copying the disc is pirating. If the seller claims to have "lost" the discs then ask to see the sales receipt. Having to buy a retail OS disc, iLife and any other pre installed software can turn your good deal into a not so good one.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
you can contact applecare and get discs mailed to you for any model for a price, about 15 bucks I think.

Lemmiwinks531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
you can contact applecare and get discs mailed to you for any model for a price, about 15 bucks I think.

Well that certainly helps matters. Do you have to be the original owner or does it not matter? I think I'm going to go through with it.

I could use some verification that this is a good deal though. For $650, it is a Early 08 MBP 17", 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Superdrive. It seemed like a good deal, but I have only been looking on craigslist for a week or so. Everything except the disc issue seems to be on the up and up.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Please be careful. Check the serial number with Applecare. $650 for a computer that should go for at least $1000 sounds too good. You know what that means. Agentphish is correct about Apple selling you original discs. Again, check with Applecare on who they will sell them to.

P.S. Don't forget about the accessories like the power adapter.

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks531

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Please be careful. Check the serial number with Applecare. $650 for a computer that should go for at least $1000 sounds too good. You know what that means. Agentphish is correct about Apple selling you original discs. Again, check with Applecare on who they will sell them to.

P.S. Don't forget about the accessories like the power adapter.

Thanks for the advice. Everything turned out to be on the up and up with the serial number (and I will be able to get replacement discs if necessary), but I found out from AppleCare that it is actually a 15-inch and a Late 07. Definitely less of a good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.