Reinstalling OS X

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I need to reinstall OS X on my MacBook Pro. What's the best way to completly restore the system folder? I tried Upgrade on the install disk, but that didn't work.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
ghall said:
I need to reinstall OS X on my MacBook Pro. What's the best way to completly restore the system folder? I tried Upgrade on the install disk, but that didn't work.
why do you need to reinstall OS X?

the best way is to carbon copy the entire thing to a external, and install, and use migration

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
bearbo said:
why do you need to reinstall OS X?

the best way is to carbon copy the entire thing to a external, and install, and use migration
I need to reinstall because several of my PPC apps aren't running.

To carbon copy, do I just drag everything in Macintosh HD to an external?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Archive & Install is what you want.

However, are you sure that your PPC apps will run under Rosetta? Is there no "Intelized" update for them?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
yellow said:
Archive & Install is what you want.

However, are you sure that your PPC apps will run under Rosetta? Is there no "Intelized" update for them?
They used to run under Rosetta, until I um...screwed something up. And it's definitaly NOT the programs themselves since I tried to reinstall.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Agreed. Archive and Install has always solved every problem I've ever had (including the Security Update fiasco from a couple months back).

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
disconap said:
Agreed. Archive and Install has always solved every problem I've ever had (including the Security Update fiasco from a couple months back).
Archive & Install is intended to solve vexing problems with your system that can't be solved by less radical means. In most instances, using it is like using a sledgehammer to kill a gnat. There is no doubt that it will work. There is a lot of doubt that it is necessary.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I would imagine this thread is related to this thread by the same poster...Monolingual borked Rosetta on his machine. My understanding is that an Archive and Install is required in order to fix this problem, but his other thread seems to suggest that he's done this and is still having problems.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
WildCowboy said:
I would imagine this thread is related to this thread by the same poster...Monolingual borked Rosetta on his machine. My understanding is that an Archive and Install is required in order to fix this problem, but his other thread seems to suggest that he's done this and is still having problems.
No, I tried something a little less drastic, and I still had some problems. I wasn't sure how to archive and install so I was asking here. I got it working now. Everythings fine, thanks for the help everyone. You pratically saved my neck!

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
MisterMe said:
Archive & Install is intended to solve vexing problems with your system that can't be solved by less radical means. In most instances, using it is like using a sledgehammer to kill a gnat. There is no doubt that it will work. There is a lot of doubt that it is necessary.
Agreed. But if you have the sledgehammer and it doesn't hurt anything to use it, why not go ahead with it?

But yeah, my post was assuming that all the basics had been tried (permissions repair, Applejack, disc warrior, etc.).