Reinstalling OS X!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidg4781, Sep 20, 2007.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Why???

Because I don't work tonight (I've been working overnght :mad:). I'd also like to spend the time seeing how the install goes, you know, in case I ever really DO need to reinstall this thing.

Does anyone have any recommendations? As far as prefs go, I'm fine going through them again. I know to backup my purchased music and important files. Anything else I need to know before I start?

How about while I'm reinstalling? Any settings that I should select? How about software/files that I don't need to install? I think I can do without most of the iLife stuff, except for iPhoto.

Speaking of iPhoto... is there an easy way to back this up? Do I just burn the iPhoto folder to a DVD?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest using iBackup for your user directory.

In the installer you can customize what you want to install. I suggest to pay attention for the Customize button when going through to see what options you have.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm downloading iBackup now (ohh, it's finished, broadband is nice). Is there any particular reason you recommend iBackup instead of me picking and choosing files? I really want to make sure I don't get any Palm files in there, from Palm Desktop I installed some time back.

And yeah, I'm actually asking that question after listening 10 Quick Steps to Perfect Backups.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It depends on where Palm Desktop installed files.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

UGH! They installed them everywhere. Almost every folder I open that isn't Desktop has some reference to Palm.

This is a pretty neat program, but scary. I think I'm going to do a FULL back up, then one that just has the basics.... just a precaution.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I like to practice banging my hand with a hammer, just in case I have to do it sometime.

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

When I re-install OS X, I usually just uncheck the printer drivers, extra languages and fonts, those are a waste of time and space.

I don't see a need to re-install OS X, maybe just back up all your stuff for the hell of it.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Haha, I was waiting for a reply like this one. Normally, I'm the same way, but I just want to experience the install process. And it's also been running a little sluggish, I'm hoping this will help. Another 1.5GB of RAM wouldn't hurt either....that's coming next month.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Given that it's a MacBook with 512 MB of RAM, it's the RAM.

I have some for sale 2 x 1 GB. ;)

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

This backup is going to take forever. Oh well, it'll give me time to actually do something productive. MR takes up too much time.

11. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm, I'm not sure this is going to work. I have 32.1GB of stuff to backup, and only 23.1GB available.

Does iBackup compress? I tried backing up to my Windows PC, but it dinged and didn't do anything.

What do I do with this backup folder anyway, after it's created? Can it be burned to a DVD or does it need to be transferred to a network drive?

How do you restore it?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iBackup can be switched between Backup and Restore modes. Sadly it doesn't compress.

13. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm, suggestions on what to do? Forget the whole thing? It seems like I'm not prepared for this tonight.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Running a little sluggish" is a pretty vague symptom, but whatever is going on (if anything), you're better off spending your time learning how to diagnose and fix it than by reinstalling. That's a skill you're more likely to use. ;)

15. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Sluggish, as in something's eating up my RAM. It never was this bad. But, like I said, I have the time, and want to give it a try. I might not be able to though. I can't find a free backup that will let me backup to DVDs. There's not enough room on my hard drive for that.

16. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, so, I scrapped the idea that night, since I couldn't back up to DVDs. I never thought of just moving my data to my PC. DUH!!!

Oh well, I need to fill out some applications, so no time to play around with that, but at least I have something to mess with the next time I'm off.:D