Reinstalling OS

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chattahoochee, Jan 10, 2013.

1. chattahoochee macrumors 6502

I recently picked up a 2006 MacBook that had been upgraded with "Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8. There are many problems in trying to establish a firm foundation. Some of my Fourm Threads have advised I reinstall the OS. Today I purchased Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8 from the Mac Store. My question is: should I refurbish the HD prior to installation ? or just reinstall it.

2. Shadow%20Mac macrumors demi-god

What do you mean by "refurbish the HD" ?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I assume you mean should you format the drive? To get a true clean install, yes you should. Boot to the DVD then run Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD, then reinstall the OS. This will give you a fresh system.

Only downside is you will lose any apps installed like iLife.

4. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Could you be more specific Weaselboy, when I boot with the DVD I assumed the download started. How do I get to "Disk Utility' ?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Download?

If you insert the DVD it opens in finder, click on the installer and your Mac restarts.
    Next it will get to the installer, but if you want to wipe, partition you can do so by clicking in the Menu Bar on top and I think it's called Utilities, then select Disk Utilities, select the HD and partition.
    If it's done quit Disk Utilities and the Installer will start again, click on the disk and install.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There won't be any download. The OS is on the DVD and as Justperry explained, it will install from the DVD. You may be thinking of the newer Lion and Mountain Lion OS X versions that do download installers.

7. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

In another Thread, it was stated that "Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3 would not support "Windows XP". In one of the "Bootcamp" instructions, It stated: "You Need OS Leopard, Vista or XP.
    Will Snow Leopard support XP in Bootcamp ?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From reading this it looks like you can use XP with Snow Leopard on your machine.

9. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Weaselboy, now, where can I get "GOOD" instructions for the process. I have gone throught the enternet and getting info, however, most are fragment. I still not sure if I install OS X 10.3.6 first, then go to bootcamp & install xp. Anything wil help.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This PDF document from Apple will walk you through it.

11. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you're trying to do two things:
    1) Re-install OS X using the 10.6 install DVD that you purchased.
    2) Install Windows XP as a bootcamp partition.

If that is correct, then do them in that order.

Yes, I know for a fact that you can use XP in bootcamp with 10.6. You can actually use XP in bootcamp with 10.7 and 10.8. There's no compatibility issue between the different operating systems. The issue is that Apple doesn't include drivers for XP in 10.7 or 10.8. But if you already have XP installed in bootcamp, then you can upgrade OS X to any version you like.