Reinstalling OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littleboo, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

I am having computer problems with Mac Mail that I cannot solve. I'm wondering before I bring it in, if reinstalling my OS would be an idea to try. I don't believe I've ever had to do this, but it was a thought.

If it's an option I should try, I don't know how to do it. I have everything backed up on time machine.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can simply put your discs in (that came with your computer) and do an archive and install. I would do that before bringing it into Apple.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Use the disks that came with your computer... and Archive & Install
    This will reinstall the system without affecting your data

Edit: As usual, jessica.'s fingers are faster than mine

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thirding the Archive and Install suggestion. Just remember that all Software Updates will need to be reapplied.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If its just Mail, you can delete the mail folder from ~/Library/Application Data/ and that usually fixes it. That solved my Mail crashing problems.

6. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the deleting the mail folder.

how do I do the archive and install? I put in the original disc, but don't see that on there.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Ta-da.

By the way, archive and installing for a Mail issue seems a bit excessive to me...What exactly are you having trouble with, sending or receiving? If we had some more information we could suggest some alternatives or steps rather than jumping straight to reinstalling.

8. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I reinstalled the OS. didn't help. Ended up going to the Apple store. thanks all!